Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Mayflower

My 2nd graders are about ready to add in "do".  This will be one of the last strictly "mi-so-la" activities that I have them complete - so I packed with everything I could think of to enhance their learning.  (Note: Although I do frequently create songs for my students to use, the folk songs I use to teach them far outnumber anything I create - as it should be).

The song is called "The Mayflower".  I've included the music, feel free to use it.  At my Teachers Pay Teachers store (click on the picture below to check it out), you'll find a thorough lessons with visuals, printables, movement ideas, assessment ideas, instrumentation, and more.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Mayflower-a-mi-so-la-song-for-Thanksgiving-955897
I'm really excited to use a few printables I created.  This is a great way for me to assess the students in a way that is fun for them.



First, I'll give the students their Mayflower cards.  The students will:
1) chant the rhythm of each card
2) chant the solfa of each card in rhythm
3) sing the solfa of each card on pitch
4) locate a card I sing or play on a pitched instrument
5) locate a card their classmate sings or plays

Then, the students will match the Pilgrim cards to the Mayflower cards.  Once these are correctly matched, I'll collect the Mayflower cards.  Then, the students will:
1) chant the rhythm of each card
2) chant the solfa of each card in rhythm
3) sing the solfa of each card on pitch
4) locate a card I sing or play on a pitched instrument
5) locate a card their classmate sings or plays

To extend this, students can:
1) Create their own two to four beat measure phrases by arranging the cards in order
2) Play the cards on a pitched instrument
3) A moveable match game - students will be given either a pilgrim or a mayflower card and will have to search for a student that has their matching card
4) Memory matching game with a partner (put cards face down, if they draw a match, they keep the pair and play again, if not, their partner takes a turn, whoever has the most cards at the end is the winner)

My 2nd graders will also be busy with Turkey, Turkey (another mi-so-la activity).

No comments:

Post a Comment