Sunday, February 2, 2014

Recorder Interactive Notebook Stuff

My older students will be beginning our recorder unit within the next few weeks.  I'm especially excited to work with my 5th graders.  This is their 3rd year playing recorder and they are such great little musicians.

Here are a few things I'm working on for them.  I'll put these materials up on TPT around mid-to-late February, once I finish all the accompanying powerpoints.  I'm having to create new materials for my little smarties.  Most of these pages will be placed in their interactive notebooks so they can monitor and track their progress and have all the resources they need.  I also include a recorder fingering chart and a page with all the pitches on the treble clef labeled.  Note: A few items are nearly verbatim from the Recorder Karate curriculum (the Recorder Basics and Recorder Rubric), so those won't be included in my TPT store but if you purchase the bundle, I'll send them via email for free.

First, there is the recorder basics sheet.  Most of my 5th graders mastered this years ago, but it doesn't hurt to review or to show the new ones what is expected.  The students must earn my initials next to each criteria before they can begin testing for their belts.

Next is a basic overview of the songs and prizes attached to them:
From there, the students are asked to choose a goal.  Some need my help so that they choose an attainable goal.  Goal-reachers will be recognized with a picture on the recorder bulletin board and their names in a drawing to win a sopranino recorder (I hold a drawing for all the black belts to win one also, so this will be a way to reward those that may have been working very hard but weren't quite skilled enough to reach black belt).
The students can color in their progress after they play for me.  I'll grade them based on this rubric:
After a student progresses through the black belt, I have advanced music they can use:
And here's a copy of what their music looks like up until black belt.  Now, by 5th grade, most students can go straight to the bottom of the page (with the music on the staff) and in fact, I encourage them to do so and require most of them to pass off their music this way.  However, having the music broken into these smaller chunks help my SPED and new students progress along fairly well.  It is also especially helpful for my 3rd graders, who are all new recorder players.
Here's a little history of the recorder foldable I'm going to have the students use.  They'll be allowed to work in pairs to complete this, using a print-out with information about the history of the recorder on it:
Let's get to honking, hahaha!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your rubric (I mean, I like a lot of things on this page, but the rubric is my fav). It's great to help the kids see where they need to go to get to their goal and also lets them know that you're not giving out belts just because or withholding a belt for no reason. Great feedback! Now how to adapt it so that it fits my districts wonky but required 7 step scale for all rubrics.... :D

    Thanks for this great post! It's recorder season for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to seeing this on Teachers pay Teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this on TpT yet? I am having troubles finding it if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have these available on TPT? I am looking for a rubric and goal sheet like this. I would love to be able to use your beautiful supplies!

    ReplyDelete